Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 5 Aug 2000 14:29:15 -0600
From:         John Brush <jbrush@aros.net>
Subject:      Re: Air vs. Water - pro's and con's

I've only owned this one 1981 air cooled vanagon. Had a ton of beetles in the 60's tho :-)

There is no pat answer, as you must know, but FWIW, I got my van in '88 with 95K on it. The PO used it for long trips only, and the motor was well cared for. I have put aboout 200K on it with no problems at all. The engine is still pretty strong, and the maintenance is minimal with less parts and, I think, easier to obtain parts. I confess that the last 3 years I have let my mechanic do the work as they are great and I have no time, but outside of tuneups, the only costs have been to repair two oil leaks from the press in plugs that are part of the main block halves. The first one cost me a clutch as well as the repair since it drained right onto the clutch. About $900 :( The second one required the engine to come out which cost me $400. Outside of those two painful jobs, nothing but tuneups. The mechanic told me that it was obvious that the engine had never been out of the van until he pulled it, about 6 months ago. Not bad at all.

I don't use it around town, only weeked and vactions. It gets a little slow on the long hills, but its quite bearable. On normal highways I can keep up with traffic no sweat. 70 and 75 are the max, but I seldom go over 65 anymore. At that speed, I get about 23mpg on the freeways and about 20 elsewhere.

Mine has the auxiliary gas furnace beneath, so heat is not an issue. In fact its too much, so I get to drive in the winter with the windows open :-)

The only time I regret having the air cooled engine is when I get in the mood to upgrade to a TDI, which is a serious thought until I realize I would have to do all the plumbing and radiator stuff. Other than that, no complaints about an air cooled. Its a design that has been around forever and works great.

Good luck.

Regards from Utah,

John

************************************************************************** Little Child: God; how come you didn't help those kids who got shot in that school in Colorado? God: I'm sorry little one, but I am not allowed in public schools. ***************************************************************************