Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 5 Aug 2000 21:23:11 -0000
From:         Chuck Roehm <roehm1@midwest.net>
Subject:      Mufflers & Waterpumps

Over the 10 years and 80k miles I have owned my '86 Westy, there have been two recurring maintenance themes with which most of you, I am sure, are familiar: exhaust system components (especially mufflers), and waterpumps. Recently I solved the muffler problem for good by installing the Stebro stainless unit. A nice looking unit, sounds great, easy to install. I haven't taken a trip with it yet to tell about mpg, but it is a straight-through design (basically a giant glass-pack) which is bound to lower back-pressure some and that certainly can't hurt the mpg. The entire assembly weighs about 4 pounds more than the OE muffler-tailpipe-bracket setup (this info is just for you other Porsche guys). :-) Hopefully Stebro will have their stainless headers in production by the time I have to do those again. If anyone can use my OE brackets, straps, and tailpipe (brackets are like new, straps are pretty rusty but probably good for one more muffler, tailpipe is decent) p-mail me and I will send them to you for just the cost of UPS, I HATE to throw out stuff someone might be able to use! My latest waterpump, only about one year old, is starting to make noises like it is about to go. The last one started to make the same noises, then let go suddenly on the Interstate, without ever first leaking a drop. This one is not leaking, either, but I don't want to press my luck. Do you guys have any suggestions for prolonging the life of these things? I am careful not to tighten the belt any more than necessary to keep the alternator from slipping, and I always use phosphate-free anti-freeze. How about it Ron or Ken (BTW I need your catalogs), do you guys have pumps available that are better than what the FLAPS places sell? Also on the subject of coolant, who carries coolant hoses? Recently I had to replace one hose and that turned into a BIG deal because none of my usual VW parts suppliers carries them, "dealer only" is what they all told me, and the dealer is where I ended up. Thanks for the advice, I thought I knew quite a bit about Vanagons, but I learn something new from this list almost every day!

Chuck Roehm '86 Westy Weekender