Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 5 Aug 2000 23:55:31 -0400
From:         "(Donna Cassano)" <pokeswagon@blazenet.net>
Subject:      Re: Air vs. Water - pro's and con's
Comments: To: Courtney Hook <chook@nisa.net>

I owned an '80 air-cooled for many years and now own '84 water-cooled. Both campers, so "handling" may be a little different than a straight Vanagon.

'84 Westy - Pepe

The '84 definitely gives a smoother quieter ride than the '80. When I first got it, I thought I was driving a tall Jetta by comparison to the '80. I did have difficulty getting stuck in some light mud and wet grass at first. I have since gotten some beefy light truck tires (that's a whole 'nother thread) and that has helped. But the gearing is definitely higher on this van and I am concerned about camping at some of the places I used to frequent in the '80. I'm still a little intimidated by the water-cooling - just another system to have to maintain and worry about. However, being on this list for 6 months, reading the Bentley, and getting my head under the lid at least once a week has made me feel a little more comfortable with it. I do still have nightmares thinking of the po$$i$blitie$ of a system failure. Personally, I feel that heat is overrated - nothing a good warm coat and wool sweater can't handle. It's the defroster that I appreciate. It is nice not to have to scrape ice off of the INSIDE of the windows in the winter. : )

'80 Westy - Pokey

The '80 was a tank. Strong and sturdy. The lower gearing gave me greater confidence when going off-road (yet a 'nuther thread) to find the perfect campsite. This also made it a little slower. It could max out to 80mph, which was fast enough for me. We traveled cross-country and back with only minor difficulties and good luck in finding honest VW mechanics. When it's Pepe's time to go to Vanagon Heaven I'll probably go back to an air-cooled.

That's my experiences. Peace - donna '84 Westy (Pepe)