Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 7 Aug 2000 17:35:01 +0300
From:         Helmut Zeidler <Helmut.Zeidler@nokia.com>
Subject:      Re: Need TDI conversion info

>Being more swayed each day to blow the wad and get a TDI conversion and do >it my self. Questions.

>1. Who posted the new or like new 1.9 TDI's for sale a month or so ago? >Good used ones with the electronics are okay too.

Don't know, but VW will start selling individual SDI and TDI engines for marine use. That are 45 hp 4-cylinders to 150 hp 5-cylinders. They will come with everything you may need, including water-cooled turbo (where applicable) and water-cooled exhaust manifold! They are basically same as they are used on vehicles, but slightly modified. You may visit their web site at http://www.vw-marine.com (English language will come soon) and browse through their site. Click on the menu right hand, too, and you will be guided to some details.

>2. Who sells the conversion kit and how is it different from the inline 4 >conversion kit? approx cost?

TDI engine are same as all 4-in-lines, but take care of the oil pan. On newer engines they are different and you cannot use the old oil pan of the Vanagon Diesel.

>3. Does the TDI require the bump or raised access lid and if so how much?

No, in case of the 4-in-line it does not.

>4. Weight difference between TDI and WBX engine?

It does have more weight, but you will not recognize it.

>Thanks in advance. Links to websites are cool and p mail me if you wish.

Try http://www.koeln.netsurf.de/~martin.schulte/vw_bus/umbau_1.htm for some pictures, some information at http://volksweb.relitech.com/tdinews1.htm and a similar conversion at http://www.cs.yale.edu/users/jag/vw/engine/tdiswap/bellanca.html

That's for now

Regards Helmut '80 Vanagaudi