Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 4 Aug 2000 11:44:38 -0600
From:         "Jon B. Kanas" <kanas@quality.qadas.com>
Subject:      Battery/Alternator/Regulator
Comments: To: tinkerman@usa.net

Good day Tinkerman and the list,

Regarding the charging problems you posted recently: It is very important that you verify that your alternator output is appropriate. When you have the alternator tested, make sure that you test if off of the Vanagon. This insures that loose belts and localized wiring problems in the Vanagon (particularly the exciter), or a problem on the printer circuit board (air-cooled only) are not causing the alternator to misbehave. Be sure that the alternator is tested at full load and full RPM.

When the original alternator failed in my Syncro, there was a problem in the armature which only appeared when the alternator was at full speed. The first shop which tested it said it was OK. It turns out that they never spun it up as fast as it normally runs in the Vanagon. My alternator was charging when the engine was under 3000RPM, but quit charging at higher RPMs. There were no idiot lights, just a discharged battery at the most unexpected times (like during long trips!).

Your symptoms sound like you are exceeding the output capability of the alternator. A small short in either the stator or armature of the alternator can reduce it's output capacity in the manner you describe. An alternator malfunctioning in this manner must work very hard to maintain voltage and amperage; It is drawing too much horsepower from the engine and may also be overheating.

My 1987 Syncro has a 90A alternator; I charge at about 14.25 volts with nothing on, and about 14.0 volts with everything (including the fridge, which is a BIG current pig) on.

If all is well, I would select the 15V charge option for the regulator. In my experience, unless you frequently operate the Vanagon for extended periods of time with little or no electrical loads the negative effects of this slight overcharging will be mitigated by insuring that the battery is fully charged each time you use the Vanagon. You should make it a habit to check the electrolyte level in the battery regularly, like when you change the oil while you are 'experimenting' with different solutions. If the top of the battery is moist, evidence of liquid splattering in the battery compartment, or frequent light bulb failures, you are charging way too high for your application. If you do a lot of short, local trips, you want to be charging at the higher rate because you are not running the Vanagon long enough to fully charge the battery at the nominal voltages cited in your post.

Constant undercharging is a bad thing: Running the battery in a condition that infrequently fully charges promotes "sulfating" of the plates. On that infrequent occasion that you then charge the battery fully, the sulfur is "baked" onto the lead plates, the surface area of the plates which is in contact with the electrolyte is reduced, and the battery never fully charges again. You want the get the battery charged as fully as possible every time you start the Vanagon.

I have two old Porsches, one with a generator and one with an alternator. These cars are infrequently used and I have both set up for a high charge rate (between 14.75 and 15.0) volts. On those occasions I do drive them, I am reasonably confident that I fully charge the battery with each use. I recently returned from an mid-mileage (+/- 300 miles) daytime trip in the 914 and had no evidence of overcharging.

Best wishes, Jon Kanas