Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 5 Aug 2000 22:10:18 +1300
From:         Andrew Grebneff <andrew.grebneff@stonebow.otago.ac.nz>
Subject:      V6 & 091 FS in New Zealand, Loaf too

If any Kiwi listees are interested, I have the following for sale, to suit Split or Loaf van, not Vanagon. I very much doubt it would be worthwhile exporting any of these items.

3.8 V6 engine & computer from 1989 VN Commodore, in very good condition, to be removed from my Caravelle (=Vanagon). I may sell it with the Caravelle engine crossmember & mounts, which probably won't fit my SVX engine.

With it goes my Loaf's 091 trans, fitted with Albins Elephant large-diameter mainshaft and gearset of ratios: 1st 2.79, 2nd 1.67, 3rd 1.13, 4th 0.77. Diff is stock, I guess 4.87. Trans has done at most 5000km since fitting of the Albins gears.

This trans cannot be adapted easily for use in Vanagon; mounts and shifter setup are different, and parts from a Vanagon trans WILL NOT fit the 091 (I know, I tried, to my cost), though that's not to say that it's impossible to fit it to a Vanagon. After all, I'm fitting a Porsche trans to my Vanagon...

The engine is adapted to fit the VW trans and comes with adaptor plate, flywheel and Kennedy Engineered Products (KEP) clutch.

The exhaust suits the Caravelle, might just fit a Loaf too. Engine crossmember of course fits Caravelle.

I have yet to figure out what the engine is worth, but an inquiry some time ago I remember the V6 pricing up at about $1200. The trans is worth over $2000 (091 to buy at least $650, gearset/mainshaft $1389 + P&P, and add labor for rebuild).

I live in Dunedin and the van is stored in Christchurch, with its trans removed, so if I get firm interest I'd have to go up there and somehow get the engine out, palleted and off to Mainfreight.

Bearing in mind that I have to recheck the engine's value, I would like offers (including freight charges).

Other items for sale:

Aluminum bullbar from Vanagon; incorporates aluminum front bumper. Has drivinglight mounts. Suit round-light van (may interfere with dual lights of later vans). Was told this is factory option in Australia. Offers; would consider part-exchange for stock bumper (chrome or otherwise) in tidy condition, with cash difference to me, or bumper plus South African grill and inner lights. Can e-mail photo.

5-speed 094 Vanagon trans, healthy apart from needing new mainshaft needleroller bearing and 3rd & 4th gearsets. I might be willing to part with this.

69 Kombi Loaf, in need of restoration, registration on hold; fitted with 2.4 (but might be 2.7, I can't really tell) liter Corvair engine and Corvair 2-speed Powerglide automatic trans. Engine runs on 5 cylinders, I think due to a badly burned valve on middle-left cylinder. Doesn't smoke. Failed WOF only on rust in sills, jackpoints and right-front pillar, cost est about $350 to fix. Paint is ugly but body is straight; double sliding doors. Lefthand-drive; all certified. Drivable short-distance but begins to smell hot (oil on exhaust?). With rear seats. Offers. Can e-mail photo.

Type 3 nonswingaxle rear suspension complete, fitted with Corvair Powerglide and Corvair double-jointed axles and drums. Offers. From a Squareback.

Pair of 16" vintage VW wheels, I think from Barndoor van. Will fit Beetle eg Split. With crossplies not fit for driving on. Have been made offers of $80 & $100NZ (=$52US).

Andrew Grebneff Dunedin NZ