Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 7 Aug 2000 13:27:29 EDT
From:         Ken Hunter <EVEHART33@aol.com>
Subject:      Re: Parts Place and Mellisa's(final long words)

In the mid-80s I helped a girlfriend who was starting in real estate find a nice car. We settled on a pristine 79 Audi 5000 owned by a fireman. (Always buy a car from a fireman IMHO.) Years later when she was an ex-girlfriend she was having a few problems with the car and wanted me to look at it. I (wisely) begged off and recommended a shop opened by two factory trained ex-Porsche-Audi dealership mechanics that I knew personally. After they quoted her for a new heater core, front-end work, and a possible head gasket she offered the car to me at less than trade-in value. It was still pristine inside and out so I bought it. A quality ceramic-based coolant system sealer "fixed" the heater, a new thermostat fixed the "head gasket", and $35 worth of new bushings fixed the front-end. Did I tell her? Catch22. Hell no. I told her I had to put a little money into it. Did I question the "technicians" (as Porsche mechanics like to be called) ? Hell yes. But after many plausible excuses the bottom line was that they didn't like to work on older Audis AND Vanagons because the owners were usually "cheap". Cheap meaning they bought a quality piece of German engineering at a good price and expected to pay domestic car prices for parts and repairs. (This attitude doesn't extend to Audi Quattros and Vanagon Syncros for some reason, and it's not an isolated instance). I guess the moral to the story is how important it is to find your mechanic ,parts, and advice resource before committing to one of these cars and ALWAYS get a second opinion. . Especially women! My wife loves our Vanagon but bitches about the money I have to spend on it. I occasionally remind her that she would be astounded!!! if she had to take it to a shop.

Ken Hunter 82 Westy 1.9D 84 Jetta 1.5D 89 Mitsubishi van