Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 8 Aug 2000 14:03:29 -0700
From:         Bill Davidson <wdavidson@thegrid.net>
Subject:      Re: 89 syncro westy backup 12 volt
Comments: To: georgejoann@juno.com

> Mick, you said, > > <<...12v seems kind of useless anyway if it doesn't work when you're not > running and shuts down when you stop and for twenty minutes after you > start up again. What's the point?...>> > > > No, the 12 volt heater doesn't shut down for 20 minutes after startup. > If selected, it's on as soon as the engine starts up...it's just really > ineffectual, unless you make runs like I do...eight or more hours at a > time, stopping only for gas and to make and consume a quick sandwich...in > February. Then it works ok...maybe sorta.

Well, not quite right... althought he 12v starts up right away with the engine, it takes about 20 or 30 minutes for the chemical reactions in the fridge cooling mechanism to get back maximum cooling... thus the stopping kills the average temperature inside the fridge... especially on a hot day....

actually I find the 12 volt cooling is quite effective... but I have an auxiliary battery to keep the fridge running when I stop the engine... no 20 or 30 minute interruption of cooling that way...

as for running it on propane, it seems that not everyone's unit will stay lit at freeway speeds...

Bill

The rest of the year I use > propane when driving and 110 volts if available while camping. Perhaps > the Dometic engineers thought a three-way fridge would be a good thing. > I don't. > > BTW, when you run the fridge using 12 volt power, the heater runs > independently of the thermostat. That is, it is always on, no matter > what the thermostat setting is. > > George > '89 Westy, Wernher > > ________________________________________________________________ > YOU'RE PAYING TOO MUCH FOR THE INTERNET! > Juno now offers FREE Internet Access! > Try it today - there's no risk! For your FREE software, visit: > http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj. >