Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 9 Aug 2000 09:29:26 -0000
From:         Chuck Roehm <roehm1@midwest.net>
Subject:      Re: Mufflers
Comments: To: pokeswagon@blazenet.net

Hi Donna, Frank Condelli, who is a regular contributor to the list, is the exclusive authorized agent for the Stebro/Vanagon stainless exhaust system. He maintains web pages with further information, owner's comments, and even some nice pictures of the muffler installed on a Vanagon. One size fits all for the 2.1 engines, which is what I have. I think they are working right now on whatever bracket mods may be necessary for a perfect fit on the 1.9 engine. Installation is a snap, really the hardest part of the job is removing your old muffler, with the possibility of rusty bolts, etc., but then you would have to remove your old muffler anyway to replace it with another OE style. Basically two 13mm wrenches are all you need. The Stebro bolts right up to your CAT just like the OE, and the brackets and tailpipe are all welded-on parts of the unit, no separate pieces to mess with. I know some on the list think $275 is high, but I disagree. My former VW parts supplier (before I found this list) gets $200 for the OE style muffler, which was lasting 4 years / 40,000 miles for me. Then add $20 for a tailpipe, and another $15 or so for a gasket and shipping, and you are at $235. The Stebro muffler, for $40 more, has a LIFETIME guarantee, and will always look good too (no more rusty muffler/tailpipe peeking out from under the rear valance). $275 for the Stebro includes shipping from Canada (where they are made) to anywhere in the continental US, and the muffler-to-CAT gasket, even stainless bolts for this connection. So what's not to like? Contact Frank for more info or I will be glad to answer any other questions from an owner's perspective; no, Frank doesn't pay me anything to say nice things about these mufflers, I just know a good thing when I see it and I'm anxious to share the good news with other Vanagon lovers.

Regards, Chuck Roehm '86 Westy '72 914 '76 912E '87 944

---------- > From: pokeswagon@blazenet.net > To: Chuck Roehm <roehm1@midwest.net> > Cc: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: Re: Mufflers & Waterpumps > Date: Sunday, August 06, 2000 4:10 AM > > > > > Chuck Roehm wrote: > > > ...Recently I solved the muffler problem for good by installing the Stebro > > stainless unit. A nice looking unit, sounds great, easy to install. > > Can you tell us more about this Stebro? Which one did you get? What did you have to do > to retro fit it? > > Thanks, > Peace - donna > '84 Wsety (Pepe) >