Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 9 Aug 2000 20:55:37 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@attglobal.net>
Subject:      Re: Inverter Question
Comments: To: Scott Semyan <scottse@microsoft.com>

At 19:21 8/9/2000, Scott Semyan wrote: >I am looking to get a small inverter for my Van to be able to run my digital >camera. Most products are listed as outputting modified sine wave AC. Will >this harm my camera?

Of course I don't guarantee it, but no. Is this really a battery charger for the camera?

> How is modified >sine wave different from normal grid power?

It's really a modified square wave...ordinary square wave goes *bang* from full negative to full positive. "Modified sine wave" goes from negative to zero, then to positive, etc. and the peak voltage is closer to what a sine wave would give. Has lots of harmonics and high-frequency energy, but will run most things without complaint. Transformers tend to buzz a bit, video monitors often will show some annoying interference, audio gear often gets a buzz in it; but none of these things are hurt by the power.

To my knowledge there are no small sine-wave inverters, and the big ones cost a lot and may be inefficient compared to the others. Short of a motor-generator set you're kind of stuck with the "MSW" inverter. Square-wave inverters may be available but are inefficient, unsuitable for electronics, and have a high idle current (I had one 125 watt, drew 1 1/2 amps at idle).

> Any suggestions on what inverter >to get? I don't need much power (<200 watts).

Statpower 145 or Statpower 300, available from West Marine for $50/$80 -- 145 draws about 60 ma at idle, 300 is more like 100 ma. Efficiencies in the 80-90% range with reasonable loads. Read the instruction leaflet and carefully understand the description of a specific type of equipment that can hurt the inverter, or be hurt by it -- unlikely you have this, but be sure before buying.

david

David Beierl - Providence, RI http://pws.prserv.net/synergy/Vanagon/ '84 Westy "Dutiful Passage" '85 GL "Poor Relation"