Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 10 Aug 2000 12:24:47 -0600
From:         Alfred Bagdan <abagdan@powersurfr.com>
Subject:      Re: new 86 Westy Nova Scotia owners
Comments: To: Dan Landry <landry_skidd@hotmail.com>

Hi Dan,

Congratulations on purchasing your Westy. Seem like a very good deal even for a 14 year old vehicle. Buying the van is like bringing home a new baby. If you give it good care it will give you a lot of joy for many years, but if you neglect it you may have all kinds of problems with it later. As far as your battery is concerned, I bought my replacement from Canadian Tire (Sears is OK too) and the battery is as good or better than the Autobahn one from VW. I replaced the struts too, bought them at The Bus Depot, and am perfectly happy with them. They have two kinds there, strong and regular. The regular once wont last that long but are easier to close the hatch. I bought the strong ones and am happy with them, they keep the hatch open even with a bikerack and a bike on it! Since money is an object for me, I stay away from VW dealers (having been burnt by them more than once) as much as possible. I bought myself the Haynes manual and the more technical Bentley manual from the Bus Depot. Also I bought a floorjack and four jackstands and do all of the servicing and minor repairs myself. I also found a mechanic who knows Vanagons, for anything major or dealing with safety. He is fairly expensive though, but still a lot cheaper than the VW dealers. I use him less and less as I am learning to be a Vanagon mechanic myself. One thing that one should replace once every 10-15 years or so is all the rubber parts, such as water hoses, fuel hoses, belts, etc... The Bus Depot or Vanagain sell complete kits for these. Nothing can spoil your long trip more than to have one of these hoses spring a leak and ruin your trip and possibly your engine if not caught in time. Also I use the Mann Mahle oil filters (from BusDepot) and 20W50 oil in the summer and 10W40 in the winter (just the regular Valvoline oil, not the synthetic). I stay away from the cheap generic filters you can buy here as they don't have all the proper characteristics needed. The VW filters are too expensive and do the same as the Mann Mahle. As far as antifreeze is concerned I splurge and use only the VW Autobahn antifreeze. The life of the heads literally depends on having the proper antifreeze. If I were you, I would flush the existing antifreeze and replace it with new (it should be done every 2 to 3 years anyway). There are many posts in the archives of this list that will direct you how to do this. As far as the auxiliary battery is concerned, If you really, really, need one, get a gel battery, not only for safety reasons but because it can handle continuous discharging and recharging (deepcycling) a lot better than a regular starter battery which must stay charged all the time for long life. (that is why perhaps you needed a new battery because your van was not driven much and the battery was not charged properly all the time). I use a Gel battery from Canadian Tire (50 AH) which I use mainly for extra lights when parked at night and just connected it using the relay already in the battery compartment. It is a lot cheaper than the Optima Battery. I run my fridge on propane while driving and while parked and while filling up with gasoline. Have done this for 15 years without any problems. Besides RVs do it all the time too. If the intake vent is well sealed around the edges, the fridge won't go out while driving. There are a lot of other things you should consider with a 14 year old van that has not been driven much, like repacking the CV joints, changing the brake fluid, transmission fluid etc... Another problem area with vanagons is the electronic and electrical areas, especially if the problem is intermittent. After so many miles and years, parts will start to fail, but most of the time not completely. When you take the van to a mechanic and he checks it out it may work just fine or he may misdiagnose the problem from your description and replace the wrong part (you pay for it with no returns). This can continue for a while until he gets lucky or you run out of money and out of frustration sell the van cheaply. To help in this situation, a van list member, Darrell Boehler, developed a tool for diagnosing the electronic system while driving. It is called the Digitool and since you have an 86 van and a digifant system, you can download the plans of how to make one from his site, also you can buy one from him already made, for $100US (if he has the time to make you one). With proper care and maintenance, your van should last a long time and give you many years of joy. Good luck and take care of your new baby.

Alfred 85 Westy Edmonton, AB