Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 10 Aug 2000 20:38:54 -0400
From:         Martin Jagersand 1 <vwjag@hammer.cs.jhu.edu>
Subject:      Re: Toronto to New Jersey for a 22.5 Gallon Winkler Tank
Comments: To: chrisgronski@hotmail.com

> Any advice for the trip down? I'll either take 90 (or 81 via Kingston / > Watertown) to Syracuse New York and then South.

Much more scenic alternative:

QEW west. Stop at Royal botanical gardens in Hamilton. See Cootes bay, and the northernmost cormorant colony in America.

Welland Canal, Niagra falls

Skip I90, instead: Northeast on R Moses parkway along Niagra river, East on 18 along the lakeshore (great views, many parks and beaches) Connects up with Lake Ontario parkway about midway. Continue to Rochester See Charlotte beach and harbour by the lake waterfalls and waterpower museum downtown. Eastman house, and photography museum

Take I390 south. If desired Detour rte 15 or 15A south of Rochester to see finger lakes and pretty villages. Connect back to I 390 in Wayland.

Glass museum in Corning

Take rte 17/I86 east to NYC

For more excitment: Stop for Hiking/paddling in Catskill mountains.

Detour Rte 51 through Ellenville (excellent bakery with real old ladies downtown just east of the Rte 51 bridge.)

Cross over the Shawagunks. Stop for best rock climbing in the east either at the state park or Mohonk preserve. Check out ice caves (Nature preserve administered, off mountain rd. might still be closed but locals will tell you how to hike there)

Check out pine barrens (listed on WHO world heritage list)

Connect back to Rte 17. Bypass NYC somehow and then into NJ.

Cheers, Martin

PS: NY State's got it! Good way to check it all out is to buy the DeLorme Topo atlas and make sure you drive a different road each time. I've got 150k on my Westy and 204k on the Quantum to prove it!

-- Westy 1.9l Turbo Diesel

Quantum 1.6l Turbo Diesel FOR SALE, See:

http://www.cs.jhu.edu/~jager/vw/Quantum/QuantumTD85.html

New and used parts for sale, gas and Diesel:

http://www.cs.jhu.edu/~jager/vw/Yale/forsale.html

Martin Jagersand email: vwjag@hammer.cs.jhu.edu Computer Science Department Johns Hopkins University

Slow down and visit the VW diesel Westy page: WWW: http://www.cs.jhu.edu/~jager/vw -------------------------------------------------------------------