Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 11 Aug 2000 13:58:27 PDT
From:         Gregg Howald <ghowald@hotmail.com>
Subject:      Muffler Replaced

Greetings!

Thanks to all who responded to my request a number of weeks ago about replacement mufflers. I replaced both my cat and muffler recently and would like to share my experience with all of you who are in or will be in the same boat.

I chose to replace my muffler with the BD $110 muffler strictly for economics. The folks at BD were great and shipped as promised on time. After studying both the new parts and the rusty-in place muffler I began what I thought to be a few hour operation. Well, a few hours turned into 10 hours of fun and frustration. The muffler and associated bolts were rusty to very rusty and made for hellish removal of some of those (an angle grinder would have come in handy). Upon removal, I bolted up the cat to the muffler and began to install the new muffler. The installation went well and the new muffler bolted right into place as promised. The tinkering was limited to rotating the muffler such that the cat aligned with the exhaust pipe. The unfortunate part of all this is that I had to break down and get the straps as my old ones were rusty beyond re-use - stupidly expensive leaving me feeling ripped off.

So, in the end, I could have had the Stainless Stebro muffler for about an additional $50 and would recommend anyone who is in the process of re-doing their muffler to look at your straps and brackets. If you think you need to replace those, go for the Stebro. If your brackets and straps seem OK, the Dansk would be an economical way to go.

The BD muffler sounds great, and there was a temporary smell of burning paint for a few days, but since has dissipated.

Thanks again to those who offered their comments.

Gregg