Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 12 Aug 2000 10:08:52 -0400
From:         Carlos Del Rio <cdelrio@concentric.net>
Subject:      Thanks and apologies

First of all, thank you Stephen Waide, Frank Miller and Vwcrewman for prompt, helpful advice. I now have to apologize bcse I just realized my typo: I have an '82, not an '84. The air-cooled beast. Hanging my head in embarrassment, I respond: -The odometer reads 99,800 mi, but it doesn't work. My trusting side says mechanical failure, not intentional misrepresentation. Then again, there was black electrical tape over the EGR warning light that I found when I drove her home... -Stephen, she drives great (but I'm afraid to drive it), doesn't appear to overheat (I can hold the dipstick after about a half hour), but it does smell of burnt oil. (More or less than what's considered normal, I'm not sure) Leaks like a sieve though. Looking to change the filter, cooler, etc... -I read that these have self-adjusting valves, but I guess that wouldn't rule out a stuck valve. I'll look in to it.

Speaking of the EGR valve: the connection to the throttle is gone, as is the tube connecting it to the heat exchangers. Does not idle well at all. My shopping list is growing...

Again, thank you. I was amazed at the traffic in this newsgroup. Carlos. Eighty-TWO Westy