Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 12 Aug 2000 10:33:13 -1000
From:         Mick Kalber <hotlava@interpac.net>
Subject:      Re: Slick 50 for Manual transmissions
Comments: To: Mark Dorm <mark_hb@hotmail.com>

The great part about this list is I learn so many new things... the bad thing is now I have to deal with all my new knowledge!

Bought a cherry 89 syncro westy from Seattle a couple months ago. It is immaculate inside and out with less that 39K (original miles) on it when I got it. Have driven it about 2K since then and it runs like a top. Haven't done much to her, but did convert to synthetic oil shortly after I got her. Have not noticed any leakage and she seems to run a little smoother, and have a little more power, altho that may be in my head... don't have much background to campare against. And gas mileage seems to have gone up slightly... get somewhere between 17 and 18 consistently, although it's kind of hard to check... the gas tank on the syncro is extremely hard to fill completely. After pump clicks off I can add another 3-4 gallons, but only if I do it very, very slowly. What's up with that?

Anyway, after reading the oil info web link Mark sent, I'm wondering if I should have changed to synthetic, especially without doing the cleaning procedure recommended there. Don't know what the PO was running. Am trying to find that out now. Am running Synergyn 5W30... API classifications: CD, CC, SJ, SH, and SG. What do you guys suggest I do now?

Sorry for the diatribe. Thanks for the help.

Mick Kalber Tropical Visions Video, Inc. 62 Halaulani Place Hilo, Hawaii 96720 ph. 808-935-5557 fax 808-935-0066 hotlava@interpac.net www.volcanoscapes.com

Put your teflon coated frypan on a burner with water or oil or food in it and turn the burner on full blast and let it go... just remember to wear a gas mask because the result is toxic -- after the the PTFE has burned up add some motor oil to the pan and add your best friends collection of rare and precious coins to the pan and proceed to cook the coins for forty hours in the mixture of oil and burnt PTFE. Let me know how it goes. If you start to hear a whiney noise from your best friend, turn the heat up and see if it goes away.