Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 12 Aug 2000 17:24:08 -0400
From:         Gary Stearns <gstearns@sprintmail.com>
Subject:      More Valve Lifter Stuff

Our rebuilt 2.1 has about 10,000 mi. on it. We've been getting alot a valve clatter on one lifter. Figured it made sense to adjust all valves as a follow-up to the rebuild getting broken in. As I tightened the adjustors, all but one got snug then I went 1 turn beyond. That one snugged very slightly then kept on screwing down. It seemed to bottom out just as the screw became level with the locknut. I backed it out again to the same adjustment as the others and pushed on the rocker arm. I was able to collapse the lifter very easily. I'm assuming that I have a bad lifter. I ordered a lifter and a "collapsable pushrod tube from The Bus Depot. While I wait for delivery, I'm trying to figure out how serious this situation is. I did adjust this lifter down to where it bottoms out, thinking that I might be able to treat it like a solid lifter. For safety, I then backed it off 1/2 turn. Started the engine and heard...nothing. Well almost nothing, slight ticking presumably from my backing off 1/2 turn. Nothing like before though. Question is, am I Ok driving like this? Should I set it back like the other valves and just let it keep ticking? Hydraulic lifters continue to be a bit of a mystery to me; I seek the collective wisdom of The List. Thanks.

Gary

[text/html]