Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 12 Aug 2000 21:50:35 -0500
From:         CHRIS STANN <cstann@home.com>
Subject:      Re: Wasserboxer into a T1 into a Vanagon
Comments: To: kayakjr@juno.com

Somebody has been reading my mind. I spent the last couple of weeks thinking about putting a WBX in a Beetle or a Squareback. The motor should bolt right up to the T1 tranny. It is a T1-type case. Instead of machining the jackets off you can leave the water cooling intact. Rig a low-profile radiator under the Beetle's decklid. You would have to manage the hot-air flow somehow to keep the radiator cooling efficiently. Maybe mount the radiator on the firewall and block it off so that it only sucks air from the vent beneath the rear window. You may have to run a dual-carb setup since I don't think the fuel injectors would clear the engine compartment. Leave your A/C compressor on, mount an under-dash unit. You now have a 95 HP Kick-ass Beetle with A/C.

For the Squareback maybe dual radiators mounted in the air-ducts in front of the rear bumper.

Oh, the air-cooled purists must be turning red by now! Wait, I am one!

Chris.

----- Original Message ----- From: John Reynolds <kayakjr@juno.com> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Saturday, August 12, 2000 9:22 PM Subject: Wasserboxer into a T1 into a Vanagon