Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 13 Aug 2000 08:43:27 -0400
From:         Jonc <jonc@webgears.com>
Subject:      vangon bleeding sysstem

after hearing from David B... we set about for Sunday morning rehash of our thermostat puzzlement... It is our least favorite task on the waterbox cooling system as this is the last place where antifreeze gets to run loose...

We installed our purging,drain, and fill valve in the lowest hose .... under the spare tire trap door... it can be reached without dropping the tire door... that happens to be the return line from the radiator to the thermostat.... we have been filling the system with a non automotive device stolen from the mechanical contracting trade called a force pump... it is a low volume manually operated pump used to put chemicals into pressurized systems... with this, we can add coolant to the system while the engine is hot with little risk... the down side of this, is that the pump can produce significant pressures... in excess of 100 psi ... it does not have to do that ...it just has that capacity... there is some possibility that in our enthusiasm we over did the pumping and somehow toasted the thermostats... We are not sure how sturdy they are as we have not jumped up and down on any as of yet ... a shortcoming of information which we intend to rectify shortly.... we did not blow the pump seal... all in all thermostats or no we are still pretty happy with the results of the system so far