Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 13 Aug 2000 09:07:18 -0500
From:         CHRIS STANN <cstann@home.com>
Subject:      Re: WBX Nightmares
Comments: To: SBWC919@aol.com

Actually there are performance upgrades for the motor. I think with a high-flow muffler and a K&N filter you are looking at figures closer to 90 HP. Take the catalytic converter away, mine is hollow, and you're talking more. A set of ratio rockers will yield you more bottom end power, too. A stock '88 1.8L I-4 is about 90 to 95 HP. I've owned a few Jettas and Golfs. I love the motor. They'll run as long as you keep fresh oil in them.

I guess we're talking about a trade-off: Added cost of conversion with the I4 plus the teething problems or the WBX with performance upgrades. Increased fuel economy of the I4 or the drop-in WBX. Just how much less does the I4 burn than the WBX in the Vanagon? Many questions unanswered. I still haven't made up my mind.

----- Original Message ----- From: Brian Jones <SBWC919@aol.com> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Sunday, August 13, 2000 8:44 AM Subject: Re: WBX Nightmares