Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 13 Aug 2000 13:43:15 -0400
From:         David Ricketts <david@renaissance-design.com>
Subject:      Re: Tach Cluster in early van
Comments: To: Christopher Michael Gronski <chrisgronski@hotmail.com>

Here is what I found in my email (oops!).

The rest is from one of my old posts. The ground for the oil buzzer is not as simple as I've presented it here -- if you do it this way you will never see an oil light above 2000 rpm. There are various ways to deal with that, the simplest being to remove the circuit board in the speedo and jumper so the sender feeds straight through. I hope other folks will sort this out for you, I have no time right now. I'll look back in on Monday or thereabouts, we're about to head to church for Pascha ("Greek Easter") in a little while.

david

Here's a circular list. First column is where the wire used to be in the connector. Second is where it goes. Third is where the displaced wire needs to go. It's convenient to know that immediately when you have wires squirming all about.

80-84 85+ which goes to 85+ 3 1 none (1 was vacant) 4 2 3 (cut and splice as below) 5 3 1 Old terminal 5 goes to ground. It is jumpered inside the old panel to old terminal 2, which provides a ground for the 4-way flasher's pilot light. No, I can't imagine why they did it that way. (!) Anyway, splice

the lead that used to go to pin two into the one that used to go to pin 5, and run the pair to pin 3. None None 2 7 5 3 (see previous note) 6 6 6 8 7 5 9 8 7 Tach 9 8 14 10 13 13 11 14 x 12 none (High oil pressure except '85 which has none. Ground to keep buzzer from going off, or make more elaborate arrangements) 10 13 11 11 14 10 Old pin 12 goes to a connector under the dash and stops. You can splice in your tach wire and use this female terminal to go into pin 9 (it was the

glow plug indicator for Diesels).

David Beierl - Providence, RI http://pws.prserv.net/synergy/Vanagon/

tachwire1.xls [application/vnd.ms-excel]