Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 13 Aug 2000 23:11:01 EDT
From:         Robert Lilley <Wolfvan88@aol.com>
Subject:      hotlava@interpac.net... Parts cost...
Comments: cc: hotlava@interpac.net

Upgrade parts:

CB Performance 1919 Racer Spacer $4.95 CB Performance 1665 1.25 Rhino Rockers $119.95 CB Performance 1534 R/A Pads $4.95 CB Performance 1642 Rhino Feet $32.95 CB Performance 1643 Solid Rocker Shafts $31.95 CB Performance 1644 Spacer Kit for 1643 $10.95 CB Performance 7161 Dual Diaph Pressure Reg $79.95 CB Performance 6504 Valve Spring Removal Tool $39.95 CB Performance 1691 Clip on Valve covers $16.95 CB Performance 1369 Racing Clutch Bolts $3.95 CB Performance 1628 Chromoly Blank End Push Rods $44.95 CB Performance 1503 Chromoly Valve Spring Retainers $17.95 CB Performance 1520 Racing Valve locks $4.95

Total $414.35

Demello Machine Shop Counter weight Wasserboxer Crank $150.00 Demello Machine Shop Engine Balance $100.00 Demello Machine Shop Rod Rebuild $48.00 Demello Machine Shop Flywheel Surface$20.00

TOTAL $318.00

Cam increase over stock. WebCam 00-999 VW WaterBoxer #91 Grind (On Customers cam) 1 $60.00 NORMAL part of rebuild.

Bus Boys ZVC-10002 Curil T $7.25 for head gasket sealing Bus Boys ZVC-10001 Curil K2 $9.99 for case and head bolts (same as factory)

Swain Techniques, Inc. Pistons/ TBC & PM 4 $30.00 $120.00 Swain Techniques, Inc. Heads/ TBC Comb. Chambers 2 $40.00 $80.00 Swain Techniques, Inc. Exhaust Ports 4 $12.00 $48.00 Swain Techniques, Inc. Exhaust Valves / Radius / TBC 4 $5.00 $20.00 Swain Techniques, Inc. Exhaust Stems /TBC 4 $4.25 $17.00 Swain Techniques, Inc. Exhaust Pipe- Elbow 1 $40.00 $40.00 Swain Techniques, Inc. Exhaust system Incl. CAT /TBC-EX 1 $190.00 $190.00

Total $515

The rest is just basic rebuild items: Piston rings, bearings, clutch, pressure plate, basic machine work- cleaning case, three angle valve job. Then decide what hoses you replace. I replaced all from the main hoses back, the thermostat and distribution pipe plastic pieces, thermostat.

I spent a LOT of time on cleaning all the sealing surfaces, match porting the intake, exhaust and oil pump (Along with blue printing it). I used my Dremil tool with the wand attachments.

I justified my modifications by doing the labor my self, using the labor cost savings to pay for the upgrades.

If your muffler is worn out, replace with a less restrictive unit other than stock. If your exhaust needs replacing use the stock unit. The performance exhaust has its problems. Replace the airfilter with an inexpensive K&N airfilter (Performance International E-2475 K&N Air Filter 1 $27.42) cost only several filters and lasts a lifetime. After engine break-in use synthetic.

The total cost of your rebuild will be determined by what is rebuildable from your engine and the condition of other parts. I reused my pistons because they were still perfect-yours might not be...

You can also not use all the upgrades...

Robert