Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 14 Aug 2000 12:47:51 +0200
From:         Nigel Bennett <NigelB@foschini.co.za>
Subject:      Re: WBX Nightmares *NOT*

My 89 syncro has a stock 2.1 82kW engine (82kW / 0.74 = 111hp?). Cruising conservatively I never exceed my green line of 4200rpm and the engine pulls willingly, even with 125k miles on it. I have had no problems except with crud buildup from the PO which caused loss of oil pressure. I will be pulling the engine in the next few weeks to fix a slight coolant leak on the heads and I figured I may as well do a complete rebuild for good measure (and for a feeling of confidence when travelling miles from nowhere with the wife & 9-week old kid).

*A word on SA* Here in SA VW does NOT supply 2.1 engines to the local market any longer. They do, however, supply the I4 Golf/Jetta 2.0 engine conversions which the agents happily install for > R22000-00 (yikes!). I believe this is the same 90kW (122hp?) engine I have in my Jetta and which is exported to you guys in the States - this engine is a reliable, economical workhorse with a beautifully flat torque curve. The 2.1 engine was discontinued in the busses from about 1993, having been replaced by more powerful 2.5, 2.6 and recently the more economical 2.3 engines, all inline. Some places still rebuild the 2.1 wbx's and even modify them to 2.3! Anyway, here in SA you can put whatever engine in your van/car that you can manage to fit - the Ford JT3000 V6 was a very common conversion over the 2.1 and some guys have also used the Audi 2.2, just for that extra bit of gearbox-cog-ripping power! Cats are not a legality either and we just gulp in the lead-laden air that spews out of free-flow exhaust systems.

T3's are still manufactured and are very popular - we have 1000's on the road, but very few campers.

Cheerio! Nigel Cape Town, South Africa 89/90 syncro caravelle 97 Jetta CLi