Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 14 Aug 2000 09:19:35 -0400
From:         Christopher Michael Gronski <chrisgronski@hotmail.com>
Subject:      Re: 82 Westy
Comments: To: Matthew Libby & Denise DeWolfe <matandded@netway.com>

That sounds like a LOT of money even if it is in great shape. I purchased my '80 Westy for $5,000 CAD / $3,400 US and "Pokey" is in really good shape (check out www.gronski.com for more details on the van).

That said, I do think I got a bargain, I recently had her appraised at $7,500 CAD / $5,100 US. I brought her in to a VW mechanic to hunt for an errant gas smell recently and he wondered if it was from California it was so clean. It has NEVER seen a winter.

I have had some minor problems (gas smell - new fuel lines which is a good idea anyway, oil leaks - new gaskets mostly) but most of the money I'm spending on her is to satisfy that feeling you get to customize your vehicle and make it your own right after you buy it (extra capacity gas tank, Hella Vision Plus headlights, external oil cooler, tachometer cluster, second battery, oil temperature and pressure gauges).

There may be regional differences in prices between your area and mine (the closest major US city to me is Buffalo NY). The problem with these vans is that they become such a part of the previous owner's life that it difficult not to let emotion do your pricing for you. If she's super clean it may be worth spending that kind of coin, but using "Pokey" as the benchmark I think $5,000 is more appropriate.

Thanks, Chris Gronski Toronto, Ontario, '80 Westy "Pokey"

----- Original Message ----- From: "Matthew Libby & Denise DeWolfe" <matandded@netway.com> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Sunday, August 13, 2000 10:41 PM Subject: 82 Westy