Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 8 Aug 2000 13:18:17 -0500
From:         Rob & Lrae Winterkorn <volksman@enteract.com>
Subject:      Re: Insurance for multiple-Vanagon households ?

We have had the same frustrating situation. My wife and I are the only two drivers in the household. Most times with only one car on the road at a time. We by no means are well off financially and currently have 6 cars insured and 1 pop-up camper. My wife and I have tried for years to explain are situation to State farm that has not be helpful in guiding us in any way other than giving them more money. The best so far has been to have antique or depending on your area collector car plates. By having these plates (or tags) the insurance company knows that you are limited in driving the vehicle by law. for example: To and from car shows/parades, to and from repair shops and my favorite "demonstrations" I can't go to and from the store without someone talking about the old splits, especially in regards to my 63 deluxe " I had one just like that, I think it was a 1979".

I have a written appraisal on three with photographs on file with State farm. They are insured where they sit for the full amount of the appraisal, so if anything happens to them or when we do drive one of them we are covered. My deluxe is insured for $10,000.00 replacement cost for about $150.00 per year. This information I got from a collector car friend of mine. When I asked my agent why they never told me of this before her excuse was: "Its just a lot of work to get an appraisal and photographs." Its not that much work to save money. This is by far the best way to insure cars not driven as primary transportation. In Illinois the car needs to be over 20 years old to be an antique.

Rob

63 15 window deluxe 66 sundial 67 crew cab 70 baja bug 84 rabbit convertible 89 2.0 16V powered Wolfsburg Vanagon 90 Vanagon GL 84 Starcraft pop-up & other assorted VW's not currently insured