Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 12 Aug 2000 23:39:41 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@attglobal.net>
Subject:      Re: At long last protype waterbox bleeding,
              draining and purging installed and operating

At 23:13 8/12/2000, Jonc wrote: >You get to guess again... How many thermostats should we change before we >look for another answer.?? which may be that it has always been impossible >to bleed all the air out of a waterbox the way they are configured... that >is a very good bet...

I think one would be enough <g>. But OTOH there's clearly something wrong -- it should heat up promptly and stay at a stable temp, rising under stress conditions until the fan comes on. This variation of temp with rpm tells you instantly that the control loop isn't functioning. I'd look for reversed hoses per the diagram on 19.8 and 19.9 -- note that of the two hoses going off the page toward the radiator, the lower one labeled "to radiator" goes to the water pump housing on the engine end, and crosses over to the left near the radiator, and has a straight end. The upper hose goes from the thermostat housing, crosses over to the right at the front, and has a 90 degree bent end.

Otherwise, could thermostat be in upside down (should be spring-side up) or have the O-ring in wrong (should be between thermostat and cover [which is underneath, of course])? Could the hoses be reversed at either side of the big plastic junction on the firewall, where the bleed valve is?

david David Beierl - dbeierl@attglobal.net <<- New address becomes mandatory on 1 Oct, optional until then.