Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 12 Aug 2000 22:59:57 -0700
From:         Jeff Hammerstrom <speakerdesign@uswest.net>
Subject:      Fridge fan running a lot; defrost needed

I just got back from camping on Vancouver Island and I made a discovery on my trip. I had noticed in the past that sometimes my fridge fan would start coming on more frequently, sometimes going off for a few seconds and then starting up again. I noticed that there was some ice on the cooling fins inside the fridge and I could feel ice on the rear of the cooling unit as well so I decided to turn down the fridge for a few hours to defrost it. After this my fan worked normally! The problem is that I needed to repeat this every other day! Has anyone else noticed this? Is it normal for the fridge to get so frosted? Is there anything that can be done to prevent it from getting iced up? My fridge has always cooled well and lights fairly easily. I only run it on propane even when driving and it doesn't go out even at 75 mph!

Jeff Hammerstrom '90 Westie '86 BMW 535i '71 Fiat 124 Spider '86 Subaru 4x4