Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 15 Aug 2000 21:10:47 PDT
From:         Mark Dorm <mark_hb@hotmail.com>
Subject:      Re: 5 cyl. Audi, sender on flywheel doesn&#30936; ma tter
Comments: To: Helmut.Zeidler@nokia.com

>What a wired subject.... > >Raimund, > >you're right, the SA engines are offering more torque on >low rpm's. In other words, the injection system (similar >to Bosch full electronic engine control) cuts off torque >and power at a certain limit. The limits are 100kW and >200Nm. > >The SA gearbox is strengthed compared to the European >or US versions! > >The European 136 PS Audi engines delivers about 180Nm >to the tranny, which is about that torque of 95PS WBX. >So no fear about the gearbox, only additional stress >is the higher revolution end of 6500 rpm at Audi (WBX >ends at 5500 rpm). > > >On manual trannies not the diff is the weakest point, > >but the gears. Since this problem is non-existent in > >automatics, their only problem MAY be the diff. > >Oh, that's not true. SA engineers found that at high >rpm on the European tranny will melt down the fourth >and fifth gear. That's why they modified that box.

You guys are in agreement on this point because you both state that the gears in a manual transmission can have problems with a more powerful engine.... And this may explain, in part at least, why Tiico aka inline 4 is apparently the conversion offered in SA for owners of wasserboxers... My memory says this inline 4 is 115hp (or was that the eurospec???)..

You're not the only who agrees with this. Check out the email I got:

Mark,

There's a couple of SF Bay Area guys with Oldsmobile 215 cu in aluminum block V8's running with unmodified Vanagon automatic trannies in their vehicles. Both have complained of breaking axles but swear by the strength of the stock autotrans.

One other local Vanagon guru said the same thing. Claims that he has seen engines with over 200hp on these auto trannies without any significant reinforcing.

BenT