Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 15 Aug 2000 21:19:42 -1000
From:         Mick Kalber <hotlava@interpac.net>
Subject:      Re: 89 syncro westy ac question
Comments: To: John <johnpatt@warwick.net>

John... It's not my tech who doesn't understand, it's me. I'm trying to learn and troubleshoot along with him. He understands the principles of ac and does ac all the time, but is having trouble understanding this particular system... or better yet, whatever the problem this system is having. I understand what you are saying, but we (the techie and I) can't seem to pinpoint what's happening.

Problem is, how to determine that. At present, with six pounds of refrigerant in the system, the high side is 160, the low 80. System is cooling nicely, but is not kicking ass. Hasn't been too hot, so I haven't had a real acid test yet. My hunch is that it will be somewhat less than optimal. Tech is well aware that 160 is on the bottom of OK for the high side and feels the low should be about 40 or less... he seems to know what he's doing, but you're right... he's obviously no crackerjack.

Anyway, my tech says run it for a few days and come back and he'll take the readings again. Everything is new except the evaporator. New compressor, new receiver/drier/new expansion valve.

What should I suggest he do to troubleshoot from here? Believe me, I'd love to bring you out here to fix it... the place I took it was the fourth shop I went to... no one else would even work on a vw ac unit here! See what I'm up against?

Mick Kalber Tropical Visions Video, Inc. 62 Halaulani Place Hilo, Hawaii 96720 ph. 808-935-5557 fax 808-935-0066 hotlava@interpac.net www.volcanoscapes.com