Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 16 Aug 2000 08:57:06 -0700
From:         Brian Sassone <brians@xwarecorp.com>
Subject:      Re: Cleanint exterior of pop top
Comments: To: Puzerewski <Puzerewski@email.msn.com>

This applys to the exterior only - anybody have experience with the dreaded break-down of the interior finish? (I've fortunately not had to cross that bridge as of yet.)

When browsing the fiber-glass product section of my local marine shop, I noticed two types of products: those that were a cleaner/polisher, and those that were just cleaners. The cleaner-only were recommended for heavy oxidization.

My pop-top was pretty bad, but I chose to try a cleaner/polisher (McGuires [sic] Mirror Glaze - in a blue bottle) as it was noted as being non-abrasive on the label. Some of the other combo-products are noted as being light-abrasive where the cleaner-onlys seem to be more like a rubbing compound.

Anyway... the results were pretty good. I found that it took alot of elbow-grease, a tall step ladder, and lots of soft rags - they load up pretty fast. The key was to use the stuff like a rubbing compound at first, as it only seemed to lift the oxidization while it was wet. Then apply another coat and let dry and polish like a wax. I did both of these steps twice and it might have used a third coat, but I was tired and satisfied after the third.

Don't know if this is the answer for you, just reporting on my experience with my top. I suppose you could use a power buffer to go at it if it is really bad.

Brian