Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 17 Aug 2000 19:36:53 -0000
From:         Pat Dooley <pdooley@gte.net>
Subject:      Re: How to throw a rod
Comments: To: Wolfvan88@aol.com

The inline VW rabbit motor is stout. Period. To say this motor was built to wear out is a joke.

VW used the same shortblock and made a diesel. 23/1 compression. 10 times the cylinder pressures. These diesels go 200k miles.

Techtonics built a 550HP I4 16V drag car.

Speedtek built a 450HP 8V GTI. In the 80's. An 11 second car that has made over 200 passes with no failures. Stock bottom end.

The rabbit bottom ends are that tough. Cast iron raised webbing to locate the main bearings. All five of them. The crank loads are distributed between 5 mains instead of 3 for the WBX. Advantage=I4.

Balance shafts? Are we talking k-cars or Volkswagens? No such thing. In fact, rabbit motors don't even have harmonic balancers. They are internally balanced by their STOCK counterweighted crankshaft.

Fluid filled motor mounts-- Introduced on the 86 A2 series golf/jettas. My 81 rabbit pickup has the factory rubber mounts. They work great as long as they are not collapsed. Most people don't know VW underspecd the engine side motor mount in the A1's. When the mount fails, it feels like the car is ready for the junkyard. This is no fault of the motor. A heavy duty Techtonics mount completely eliminates this problem.

So the gizmo count stands at one $24 motor mount, or a fresh factory mount every 2-3 years.

I have run rabbit motors for 10 years now, never with a serious failure. I beat the sh*t out my turbo rabbit pickup, 3rd gear burnouts, full throttle power shifts.

Never a motor problem*. The entire truck project including vehicle purchase was around $1200. This a 14 second vehicle. Faster than many V8 sports cars. And smooth as glass to 6500rpm.

*early on the truck blew a couple head gaskets due to my inexperience with boosting motors and providing proper fuel/spark curves.

Robert, I respect what you have done with your waterboxer. I am sure the list appreciates your willingness to take the time to share the details of your successes.

I don't think you are well versed in the I4 VW motors, and maybe shouldn't be downplaying them.