Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 18 Aug 2000 10:34:11 -0400
From:         "Stanley, Kerry" <kstanley@cas.org>
Subject:      FW: Transmission mystery

Z,

The input shaft sort of floats in a pilot bearing in the flywheel. I guess to keep it in alignment with the clutch and tranny. You are right that if the clutch pedal is in, the input shaft should just sit there, no friction between the clutch disk and the flywheel. However, it the pilot bearing starts to break up in the flywheel I guess it adds friction to the input shaft and it wants to rotate even though no friction is being applied through the clutch disk. The input shaft does not go in and out of the flywheel.

It has happened to me twice. Once it was acting like the clutch was not working, and would either try to keep going at a stop or would stall.

Once, it just allowed the input shaft enough wobble that it wore out the input shaft seal to the tranny and I started to loose transmission fluid on the ground.

Too bad a $2 part causes such headaches!!

Kerry '86 syncro, 175K kstanley@cas.org

-----Original Message----- From: Mladen, Zoran [mailto:zmladen@solant.com] Sent: Friday, August 18, 2000 9:30 AM To: 'Stanley, Kerry'; vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com Subject: RE: Transmission mystery

I don't understand your theory? The input shaft does not move in and out of the flywheel, so how is it getting hung up? The input shaft simply guides the T.O. Bearing.

-----Original Message----- From: Stanley, Kerry [mailto:kstanley@cas.org] Sent: Thursday, August 17, 2000 8:02 PM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Re: Transmission mystery

I do not know about the grinding in 3rd or 4th, but I've had the same problem in first where it seemed like the clutch was still engaged. I believe it is the pilot bearing in the flywheel going, and the tranny input shaft is hanging up in the flywheel where it is grinding up the pilot bearing. Cheap part, but obviously all the labor to R&R the tranny.

Kerry '86 syncro, 175K kstanley@cas.org snip