Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 18 Aug 2000 15:26:26 -0400
From:         "Carrington, Tom" <TCarrington@ReliTech.com>
Subject:      FW: Why use VW Fuel Pumps instead of Alternatives?

Please reply to Herr Doktor, not me!

-----Original Message----- From: Doktor Tim [mailto:doktortim@rockisland.com] Sent: Friday, August 18, 2000 2:41 PM To: Vanagon Mail Subject: Re: Why use VW Fuel Pumps instead of Alternatives?

>>Is there any reason why a domestic FI fuel pump could not be used on a >>Vanagon?

At 12:44 PM 08/16/2000 -0400, you wrote: >I doubt if most domestic fuel pumps are meant to drive a 40 psi Bosch >system. I think they tend to run quite a bit lower pressures (Japanese too).

Some problems with some (all???) non-spec pumps. NOISY!!! and SHORT LIFE!!!! and/or, to install them, you must cut off the stock fittings in order to clamp up the wisbang 5/16" hose that fits like offal so you way over tighten the foul cheap clamps provided specifically to cut the hose. This is the kind of thing you might get from JC Whipme.

There are certainly very good fuel pump manufactures in the world other than Bosch. Bendix comes to mind. They and others make pumps that fit US and Japanese cars. If you have an old Chebby, use an AC/Delco pump, don't try to modernfy a Bosch to fit 'cause you think it's a better pump. It isn't for that application.

You rarely will see anything other than Bosch on anything built on the European Continent. You would be just amazed how many 25 year old original Bosch fuel pumps are still running factory spec today. It is a testament to the very high specifications in Bosch pumps.

If your decision is based purely on a lower price, your life will be one of lower value, at least with regard to funds on hand when you are ready to cash in all the chips.

T.P. Stephens aka Doktor Tim