Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 19 Aug 2000 11:22:48 -0700
From:         Bob Gourley <spruce@harborside.com>
Subject:      Re Oregon gas stations

Steve-- you are wondering about our gas stations here in Oregon.

By law we are not allowed to pump our own gas. I have always been glad to get back in Oregon where the gas was pumped for me. It is great to be able to sit back and let the attendant take the horizontal rain storm. Yes it really does rain in Oregon. About 100 inches per year where I live.

There are advantages in pumping your own, for instance,(Vanagon content) my '87 Vanagon had a weird gas tank and some attendants would shut it off about 3 gallons too soon.

About the gas prices: Gas prices are very high in Oregon at this time. We have been driving from Oregon to Arizona for the last 8 years. Gas prices in southern Ore. and northern Cal. are about the same. As you get farther south in CA and into AZ prices get cheaper. In normal years, prices seem to be the same no matter who pumps the gas. The location on the map seems to dictate the prices.

Something new has started in Oregon and I don't like it. Some of the cut-rate stations pump the gas but they give you a pump number and you go into the store and wait your turn to pay. I says to the attendant, "This is getting to be like California" He just gave me a sickly grin and didn't say anything. The last time we got gas there (Eugene) it was $1.549. It is a new station and has already gone up 5 cents if I remember right.

Hey Steve, you make me feel good!! You say that you like Oregon and the people. I am a fith generation Oregonian and I like the rain and the gas pumps. Got used to it I guess.

Bob