Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 20 Aug 2000 08:34:40 -0400
From:         "Michael S. Nichols" <msnichols@mindspring.com>
Subject:      To "The Clanger" Van somewhere in Oregon---A Possible Cure!

Hello from Atlanta---I had a similar clanging last year on my cat equiped '81 air cooled. I spend lots of time around and under my newly rebuilt and reinstalled 2.0 trying in vain to find the clanging. Finally did, though!!! There was/is a baffle of sorts made out of sheet metal that mounts to the rear of the van and fits above the muffler, and is about the size of the muffler. I could never see this metal section from below as the muffler obscured it. I finally noticed it through the louvers behind the rear bumper.... The clanging? The installer the week before chose not to reinstall one of the sheet metal screws that hold this metal baffle in place, and left one of the other screws a bit loose. This was the source of my clanging!!! At different revs the metal would vibrate against the muffler and cat. I fixed the problem when I spent one hour finally getting the missing screw installed---for me it was in an almost inaccessible place with the muffler installed.....

I hope this helps!

Regards,

Michael and Christina Nichols 2--'81 air cooleds

PS---Over the week following my clanging repair I found and tightened many screws, gas line clamps(!!!) and starter connections that were reinstalled only hand tight, thanks to the shop that did my rebuild here in Atlanta.....