Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 20 Aug 2000 10:59:44 MDT
From:         d t <tinkerman@usa.net>
Subject:      care of our Wasserboxer/WaterLeaker engines

Hello Volks!

Continuing the WaterLeaker saga, I've just stumbled across a proposed solution to the leaking heads problem, in addition to the well discussed usage of the original coolant we all know of. AFAIK, the leaking heads are caused in part by electrolysis triggered by the different metals of the heads (aluminum) and the cylinders (steel). Corrections are welcome... Anyway, this company offers an "anti-electrolysis" solution called "Z-Sticks".

check http://www.fastgermanauto.com/

>Corrosion in the Volkswagen Waterboxer Vanagon is a long and elusive topic.

The problem is that there are >so many components to it. If you research the problem you'll find that there are 4 major contributors. > > 1.Electrolysis

> 2.Phosphorus Corrosion

> 3.Combustion gases Corrosion

> 4.Dis-similar Metals Corrosion

> >Resolution 1: To solve the Electrolysis problem our R&D Dept. has come up with an Anode that is bolted >into the drain plugs of the heads that will attract the electrical currents produced from the movement of water >over the metal components and dispense them. The electrolysis will be prone to attack the "Z-Stick" instead >of the head studs! > >Resolution 2: Use the factory antifreeze! Most of the antifreezes today are phosphorus free which is >mandatory. The factory antifreeze also has Electrolysis inhibitors in it that has proved to help reduce >corrosion as well. In all of the motors that we have disassembled the motors that were in the best condition >the customers had used the factory coolant. > >Resolution 3:

>Part 1.. Combustion gases leak past the stock head gaskets and O ring and slowly enter the coolant >system. The chemical reaction with the other chemicals promotes head stud corrosion as well. What's >ironic is the head studs help cause their own demise. We have found that installing a performance head stud >with higher tensile strengths and better alloy compositions have reduced

seepage as well. We carry and >recommend RaceWare studs. >Part 2.. We have always been an advocate of using new heads. The new heads that we use have quite a >few improvements over the stock VW rendition. Using new heads eliminates the need to resurface the heads >in rebuilding. Resurfacing inevitably increases the ID of the cylinder orifice who's measurement is critical to >the top cylinder O-ring for sealing. Also the outside of the heads have been built up to reduce the risk of >outward stress cracks. Our new heads in our tests have proven to reduce the amount of combustion gases >released into the coolant system thereby reducing the amount of stud corrosion as well. > > > >For More Information Contact: > >Fast German Auto Inc.

>2911 S. Oak, Santa Ana, CA 92707

>Tel: (888) 211-3334

>FAX: (714) 979-2974

>Internet: Sales@fastgermanauto.com

Cheers, T-man

(P.S.: appologies if this response came rather late, as I'm practically swamped with incoming mail...)

____________________________________________________________________ Get free email and a permanent address at http://www.netaddress.com/?N=1