Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 20 Aug 2000 14:12:00 EDT
From:         Robert Lilley <Wolfvan88@aol.com>
Subject:      Re: care of our Wasserboxer/WaterLeaker engines
Comments: To: tinkerman@usa.net

There is one other factor that was not mentioned.

It is: Pressure: The head gasket pressure on the sealing surface.

The head gaskets I saw, from the engines I took apart, had corrosion damage on the sealing surface UNDER the head gasket area only and on the area where the various water pipes are bolted to the head that had leaked. The corrosion buildup actually cuts into the head gaskets, slowly cutting the gasket into two in areas, and in other areas the corrosion build up reduced the space the head gasket had to compress under thermal expansion of the engine and CUT the sides of the gasket OFF, leaving nothing to hold the gasket in place and the cause of sudden gasket failures.

On one head from my original engine had been replaced at 57,000 miles. When I looked at it, they had spread the head gasket glue on the entire surface of the head exposed to coolant. The corrosion was only in the area of the head gasket under compression.

I think that over time, as the coolant is trapped under the head gasket, the corrosion process starts and develops pocket of corrosion that slowly destroy the gasket and sealing surface. The time to failure in a stock engine depends on coolant type, time until coolant is flushed with new and HOW the engine was put together. Some fail early and others never fail.

This is WHY I and others have coated the sealing surface with some type of aluminum sealant to prevent the problem from happening. I choose the ceramic coatings to get an additional measure of thermal protection to length the life of the rubber head gaskets.

The head studs breaking is from not using the proper coolant AND NOT CHANGING it annually so the metal protecting properties of the coolant are USED up and then the coolant starts attacking the engine as the coolant flows.

Resolution 3: RaceWare studs

I am leary of using different other than stock head studs because of the different growth properties in the metal alloy used vs. stock. This can lead to problems with the head sealing correctly after many heating cycles. The studs do not stretch the same as stock. IN T1 engines VW went to larger stronger 10 mm head studs from 8 mm to try to fix the studs from breaking. Then the 10 mm studs started pulling out of the case. VW went back to 8 mm studs but with 10 mm tapered ends and there was no more breakage or pulling out of studs. I feel that stock is BEST JUST change the coolant AND with the correct kind.

The studs cause the tolerances VW built in to decrease during thermal expansion to be tighter. This increases the head bolt torque beyond design and as the engine cools, gaskets will be compressed beyond the normal crush and can become damaged over time causing failure of both head gaskets: metal compression ring and/or rubber head gaskets. The studs will put more stress on the case, as they try to keep the head on tighter, and may start to actually pull out of the case over time causing a failure.

Using bigger head bolts is needed in a RACING engine on a DRAG strip with a BIGGER engine, but can be detrimental to the life of a street engine.

With proper care and preventive care the WBX engines can see a LONG life.

Robert