Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 20 Aug 2000 16:22:39 ADT
From:         Dan Landry <landry_skidd@hotmail.com>
Subject:      loud clacking fm engine!

Hello,

We recently purchased a nice 1986 Westie (only 60000km). I started it today to move it down the driveway in order to stack some firewood. When the engine started there was a horrific clack clack clack keeping time with the beat of the engine. It has not been moved for about a week. Although we have only had the camper for a short time, I have never heard anything like it - so it has abruptly started.

I checked the oil and then drove it around the neighbourhood. After about ten minutes with no respite, it suddenly faded away. While driving around it wasn't as loud as it was idling, but still noticeable.

The only thing that I could see out of place was that the muffler was shaking pretty hard when I first started the engine up - but I am unfamiliar with these engines. All the clamps seem good and in place.

The only thing we've done since last driving it was test run the catalytic heater and run the fridge on propane and AC. I also has rained like heck two nights in a row.

Funnily enough, we're about to go off on our first little trip tommorow. HA HA.

The noise has receded back under the normal exhaust sounds and running of the engine. It was LOUD. I would appreciate any help, ideas, advice or insight from the group.

Thank you,

Danl

Bedford, Nova Scotia