Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 21 Aug 2000 08:02:34 +0000
From:         Jim Henry <jch@vnet.net>
Subject:      blinking temp light, (sorry)

I know, its an overworked subject. I have checked the archives. much good information. but I need some consensus on the next step.

After several months of erratic behavior, (light would stay on until thermostat opened. burped system, light worked correctly. much rain on camping trip, light stayed on two or three minute, or maybe till thermostat open, on recent trip to TBTT, the thing would blink for several minutes, longer than thermostat action, but would turn off eventually. Also van had little power until warm. Then on pulling out from Modena rest area on the way home, light began to blink and has not turned of yet.

I thought that it was the tank sensor, (always replace cheapest option first?) so replaced that and changed coolant to be sure ratio was correct. No effect.

My question now is what should be the next step, is the low temp sensor on the water pump the logical item? Any other ideas or diagnostic processes to try. I feel that there was some relationship between the lack of performance on startup and the light, because when it started staying on, the hesitations went away.

TIA

jim henry Durham, NC 84 westy

PS. There seems to be several bus gatherings this coming weekend. I wondered where folks are going, and if many are going to the New River Gorge Event in W. V. I have not seen much about it, but the area is spectacular so I was considering it. Its a bit of a haul, (especially if the red light is blinking constantly)