Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 21 Aug 2000 09:25:45 -0400
From:         Dave Caston <happycampers@picusnet.com>
Subject:      Re: Oil pressure question.
Comments: To: VW85Westy@aol.com

on 8/20/2000 4:57 PM, VW85Westy@aol.com at VW85Westy@aol.com wrote:

> Dave, > Is there any practical reason to find out which has caused the problem?

The quest of pure knowledge and whether or not your symptoms are indicative of a deeper problem. I've heard that true low oil pressure can be the starting signs of rings going. Me, I just like to know that kinda stuff. And you will know in short order which it is. By that, I mean when you change the oil filter you'll top up with current oil to replace what was lost in the filter. Take Zippy for a test drive of 20 miles or so. If the problem still persists then continue with the oil change. It's not that much more time IMHO. Oh yea. there are two more reasons that the oil light would illuminate falsely. The dynamic oil pressure sensing system has a glitch in either the circuit board in the dash cluster or on of the sending units is bad. There are separate low bar (psi) and high bar sending units. Testing procedure is in your Bentley. (You do have one don't you?) It's your van and your time. Do as you wish. If time is ultra premium then do both, hope problem disappears. Have a good trip. Dave