Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 21 Aug 2000 07:56:00 -0700
From:         "Buettner, Peter" <PGB@dolby.com>
Subject:      Re: Advice on shipping a motor?
Comments: To: "EVEHART33@aol.com" <EVEHART33@aol.com>

Amtrak is usually the cheapest way to go. Must drop off and pick up at an Amtrak station. They don't like to ship motor blocks. It's best to drain all fluids from the engine and pack it up so it can't be seen from the outside. Just declare it as "used car parts". If they get nosy tell them that you're shipping axles, wheels, transmissions or other heavy stuff.

Good luck, Peter

-----Original Message----- From: Ken Hunter [mailto:EVEHART33@aol.com] Sent: Sunday, August 20, 2000 3:40 PM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Advice on shipping a motor?

I need to ship a diesel longblock to San Diego from Albuquerque. It has the head off but it's still one heavy hunk of iron. I would appreciate any advice from those that done this before. Seems I read about some different solutions in the archives but they aren't coming up for me now.

Ken Hunter 82 Westy 1.9D 84 Jetta 1.5D 89 Mitsubishi van

[text/html]