Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 21 Aug 2000 12:41:10 -0400
From:         Jay L Snyder <Jay.L.Snyder@usa.dupont.com>
Subject:      Re: Still running rich, now what
Comments: To: Stuart MacMillan <macmillan@home.com>

Replace the fuel regulator. My '86's regulator failed. It blew off the plastic gas line (where it goes back to rubber), right above the starter. Gas was shooting out all over. I cringe when I think about it now. It was running very rich and luckily I had turned around and was only a mile or so from home when it quit. You might want to check the old old one first with a guage, just so you know. Jay

Stuart MacMillan <macmillan@home.com> on 08/21/2000 12:21:35 PM

Please respond to Stuart MacMillan <macmillan@home.com>

To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM cc: (bcc: Jay L Snyder/AE/DuPont) Subject: Re: Still running rich, now what

Well, you can start thorwing parts at it (my usual approach) or take it in and pay someone else to throw parts at it! It sounds like you are down to the O2 sensor, fuel pressure regulator, AFM, or ECU. Start by replacing the cheapest first, the O2 sensor. ($35 Bosch universal from list vendors). Then move to the fuel pressure regulator ($70), AFM ($150 rebuilt), and hopefully you won't have to deal with the ECU, there is no cheap alternative here. If your a gambler, my money is on the fuel pressure regulator. Take a chance and skip the O2 sensor. High pressure or a pin hole leak will cause your problem, and yours has been going for 16 years! How much more can you expect? Good luck, and I'm sure you will spend less money this way over the other way! Matthew Pollard wrote: > > 84 vanagon. Symptons: running rich, very rich. Poor idle. > > What i know: Somewhere in benlyey (24.36 or 36.24 ?) there is a trouble > shooting page. I did all those. The temp sensors were the exact same ohms > and were correct with temperatures (did it twice), oxygen sensor wire is > ok, oxygen sensor is less that 800 miles old, injectors were a lovely > pulsed conical spray pattern, afm is ok (track is clean and resistance is > per bentley), plug wires are ok, idle stabilizer ok, fuel pressure > regulator a bit high but this list said it was OK (no fuel coming out of > the vacuum side). That is about it. Didn't check the timing but haven't > messed with any timing stuff in years. I ran great then slowly got richer > and richer- most noticable on downhill stretches when i am coasting. > > Would an oxygen sensor fail in a few months? Would a bad spark plug do > this (800 or less miles on bosch Pt plugs, wires, cap, rotor). > > I am trying to not throw money at it, but trying to make intellegent > repairs. > > What next? I guess i could replace the oxygen sensor with a cheap-o from > my local flaps (no place to get Bosch in town), do a compression check, > change the plugs at the same time. > > There is a good mechanic in town that will be getting my business really > soon if i can't get her running. > > Help! > TIA > Matthew > > Matthew Pollard http://www.uidaho.edu/~poll7356 > Dept. of Chemistry http://www.chem.uidaho.edu > University of Idaho http://www.uidaho.edu -- Stuart MacMillan Seattle '84 Vanagon Westfalia '65 MGB (Driven since 1969) '74 MGB GT (Restoring) Assisting on Restoration: '72 MGB GT (Daughter's) '64 MGB (Son's) Parts cars: '68 & '73 MGB, '67 MGB GT