Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 21 Aug 2000 20:08:02 -0600
From:         James Sperl <JiMelody@worldnet.att.net>
Subject:      Move Complete

Hello again everyone, We made it to Fairborn Ohio, finally got the computer unpacked, and a new account after a 3 week leave from the list. Hope I didn't miss any good tire discussions. :) Had a great, uneventful, trip. Saw the bomb memorial in Oklahoma City (nice), the Laura Engle Wilder place in Mansfield MO (yee ha) and went up in the arch at St Louis which was impressive. It is great to see some green trees and farmland after 3 years in southern New Mexico. Only Vanagon story to report relates to its ability to stop a new beetle with just the corner of the bumper and which quickly pops out in the sun. Seems that the first night in the new (rental) house we were heading to the the hotel (household junk had not yet arrived), kids in the back seat of the NB TDI, running and backing out when we forget something and the wife runs in to get it.... taking forever, so I figure, must have left in the Syncro. Get out to look, nope not there. Shut the door and turn around to see the NB resting halfway out the garage with the door at a sickening 100 degree angle resting on the front corner of the Syncro bumper. Needless to say, I now know my garage floor is not level, and body shop repairs are not cheap. Couldn't close the door so once again had to have old reliable take us on our way. Speaking of the syncro, seems that it likes this country too. Maybe its the lower elevation, more humid air or just my imagination but it seems to have more power here. I can finally burn rubber in two gears. ha.

Good to be back. If anyone has any suggestions for good Mechanics in the Dayton, Cincinatti or Columbus area, it's always nice to know. Looking forward to getting together with some Vanagon folks in this part of the country. Only saw one other Vanagon on the 1500 mile trip.

Cheers, Jim 91 Syncro Adventurewagon 99 NB TDI (Body shop) Fairborn OH