Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 18 Aug 2000 09:16:34 -0700
From:         Bill Davidson <wdavidson@thegrid.net>
Subject:      Solved: fridge blowing out!

Thanks much to David Beierl for his post on how to solve the fridge blowing out problem!

After sealing the flue gasket I drove my van to 78 mph and the fridge stayed lit!!! Before, the fridge flame would blow out above 40 mph.

Not wanting to go to the work of pulling the fridge I didn't bother with the burn chamber seal or the O-rings at the ends of the venting pipes.

Here is what I did:

1. Remove the vent assembly 2. Clean all the parts 3. Used a wood dowel inside the air intake to push/press so that the vent casing (cast piece that both vent tubes end in) ends up flush with the outside of the van. (if it puts pressure on the rubber gasket, the gasket could distort and allow air to blow under the gasket) 4. Use alcohol to clean both sides of the rubber gasket and the fixing plate... so that the Silicone Caulking will stick to them. 5. Squeeze a bead of Silicone Caulking (I used GE Silicone called Household Glue... clear) on both sides of the Rubber Gasket and the outside edge of the Vent Casing where it makes contact with the Rubber Gasket. 6. Reassemble the vent. 7. Wipe off excess silicone... also reach behind the fixing plate to wipe off excess that may have squeezed in there. 8. Allow the Silicone Caulking to dry for 24 to 48 hours before starting the fridge.

The idea behind this is to prevent high speed air from blowing under the Rubber Gasket or between the Rubber Gasket and the Fixing Plate. It looks to me like the Fixing Plate is designed to create an eddy of air at the opening to the air intake tube... it seems to me that this eddy would mitigate the vacuum effect of air at speed (Bernoulli's effect.... air at speed reduces pressure... principle of air lift on airplane wing...) ... an unmitigated vacuums effect would inhibit air from entering the air intake tube. Air blowing under the Rubber Gasket or the Fixing Plate would destroy the eddy and allow the vacuums effect to act on the air intake.

Bill 90 Westy Syncro