Vanagon EuroVan
Previous (more recent) messageNext (less recent) messagePrevious (more recent) in topicNext (less recent) in topicPrevious (more recent) by same authorNext (less recent) by same authorPrevious page (August 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 26 Aug 2000 00:57:57 PDT
From:         Mark Dorm <mark_hb@hotmail.com>
Subject:      Re: Bearing wear

>From: Charles Hokanson <Candmhok@aol.com>:

>Operating an engine outside of its power band causes excessive wear, >if >you widen or change the power band and operate it in the power >band you do >not increase wear

I like this thought, used to drive a trans am with 400 cu in motor in it (or maybe it was bigger, I was just a kid, 1978 manual four speed trans am). And I would drive it around underneath its powerband trying to save gas - dumb idea....

>The increased bearing wear comes in as the engine Revs higher and the >centrifugal forces cause the crank to flex in the middle. Generally >increased past the 4000 rpm mark. What drivers tend to do (some, many, >most), in an attempt to get to speed quicker, rev the engine past 4000 >up >to redline, 5800. Robert Lilley

I never drive past 4000 rpm (well, maybe I'll go up to 4200 sometimes...).

Robert, are you saying that with the chip, the engine turns less to get the same power - that would make it cooler wouldn't it....

Physics lesson: (those not inclined will want to skip the following) And about centrifugal force: it doesn't exist. Thats about the only thing I learned in Physics. Centripital force is real: you swing a ball on a string and the force applied to the ball changes its direction..... If the string breaks the ball moves in a straight line which is inertia: there is no force forcing the ball to move outward from the center, the ball just starts to move in a straight line because there is no longer a force pulling it into the center - of course the ball slows down and hits the ground but that's because of friction from the air and gravity from the earth which are yet other forces. In a vacuum with no mass and no limits to its no dimensions the ball would move in a straight line forever, it would be in a state of inertia: the tendency to maintain the same motion or nonmotion, whether moving or still. You don't want to get up out of your couch: thats inertia, you don't want to stop for directions: thats also inertia. Men are big on inertia. ________________________________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com