Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 22 Aug 2000 19:57:19 -0600
From:         The Blackhams <steph@uswest.net>
Subject:      Re: Bad Cat???
Comments: To: Rick Berman <love2bike@uswest.net>

Rick Berman wrote:

<Snip: Has anyone had a problem with the Cat. unit causing the HC to go high on = idle. We have a 500+ PPM on HC at idle all the gases look great. We have = done the usually thing and still can not get the HC down. \Any help Snip>

I don't think its the CAT. What are the other readings at idle. 500 + ppm HC would mean a lean mixture to me.

If you graph CO and HC by fuel mixture you get the following:

CO Emmissions

6 5.5 5 * 4.5 * 4 * 3.5 * 3 * 2.5 * 2 * 1.5 * 1 * .5 * * 0 * %CO Rich 14.7:1 Lean (air fuel mixture)

HC

1200 1100 1000 * 900 * 800 * 700 * 600 * 500 * 400 * 300 * 200 * * 100 * * 0 * HC ppm Rich 14.7:1 Lean (air fuel mixture) Stoich

Connect the dots and you can see the relationship between CO and HC. Your situation of high HC could means "way to lean" , like false air some where in the system or the AFM leaned out too much. Also out of spec spark advance can cause highHC. Whats your timing set at? What are the CO and NOx figures. I'll bet your CO figures are under 0.35 or a little to lean. What are the 2500 rpm figures and what year & model?

The CAT generally fine tunes the gases At Stoich to reduce CO and HC slightly but its really there to reduce NOx at stoich.

Let me know what is happening.

Have fun

Steve Blackham Centerville, Utah 77 Bus converted to camper (westy top) 87 Weekender