Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 23 Aug 2000 11:43:13 -0700
From:         "MOST,DAVID" <most@ucla.edu>
Subject:      Re: urban camping in sf
Comments: To: steve guzzi <sunzuug@yahoo.com>

It's possible that someone was watchin me as i closed the curtains and left the vanagon parked for the evening. In any case, the general rule in cities is to have all the curtains open and nothing visible of interest to a thief. A thief might infer that if the curtains are drawn, then either someone is sleeping or there's something to hide. If a thief isn't scared away by someone waking up, then he might was well try to break in to see what's hiding behind the curtains.

I later learned that the place I parked (semi-commercial) wasn't such a good place to be overnight. It's actually a pretty nice neighborhood, but apparently there's a fair amount of drug related crime in the vicinity. In cities, I've had great luck in residential areas where there are at least a few other vehicles parked on the street.

David