Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 22 Aug 2000 05:42:10 -0700
From:         "Greenamyer, William L" <William.Greenamyer@West.Boeing.com>
Subject:      Re: Important tire saftey

Good information below. Personally, I am not involved with these problem tires but in having an RV that uses bigger tires, there are a few things that many people overlook. Also, living in the high desert, there are a lot of things that people overlook.

With a lot of heat, you need the higher tire pressure to help dissipate the heat inside the tire. Underinflated tires have to much flexing in the sidewalls and that is part of what causes a lot of the blowouts. One of the reasons that a lot of tire companies recommend certain LT tires for the Vanagon is because of its weight. Normal tires just don't have the side wall strength to handle the weight. To much flexing. You also have to check the temperature rating of the tires you are using based on the area you live in. For the high desert, you never go lower than a B rating or the tire won't last. Another item that most people don't find out about is the speed rating of LT tires. A lot of the truckers on the road use recaps. Many of them drive over the speed limit. Many LT tires or trucker type tires have specific speed limits. Our RV tires are some of the best and they are rated to I believe 85MPH. Over that and they could loose their tread (in other words, come apart) just like a lot of the Firestone tires have (hint). The combination of heat, underinflation and excessive speed creates very unsafe tire conditions. On our Vanagon, we use 185/R14 tires that are designed for the weight. They are 6 ply-8 ply rated. There are two plys in the side walls. Believe me it makes a difference in the durability of the tires. The tires are B temp range and rated for 120MPH. This doesn't prevent the sun from causing small cracks in the sidewalls but that is caused by the UV and heat from the 120+ degree days (140+ on the road surface at a minimum) in the high desert.

Just my 2 cents. William