Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 24 Aug 2000 18:19:58 EDT
From:         Jeffrey R <Oxroad@aol.com>
Subject:      Re: Coolant Hoses
Comments: To: ingalls_mark@hotmail.com

Mark--

I have a tip on hoses which is I got mine recently from Ken at Van Again. Some the dealer was having trouble getting and would take about 10 days. Ken has most if not all hoses in stock and charges much much less than the dealer. Other Vanagon specific vendors I checked needed 2 weeks to get the hoses.

I'm sorry I don't have the answer to your questions about which to replace--I think Murphy's law would dictate whichever ones you don't replace are the ones that are about to fail. I replaced all the hoses in the engine compartment and the two up front that run from the plastic or metal pipes to the radiator. I still need to replace all the heating related hoses, but didn't have the time this go round. I did replace the "T"s in the heating lines that where up behind the right rear tire well. The original Ts were metal--maybe aluminium?- and one was weeping. I replaced them with the dealer part which is now plastic and is a slightly wider diameter which actually fits the existing heater hose better.

All of my experience was with my 1983.5 Westy, BTW.

And I'm guessing you would have a hard time finding hoses at NAPA. While I didn't go to NAPA my local FLAPS just grinned when I looked for the bus hoses.

Hope this is at least some help.

Good Luck Jeff 83.5 Westy currently in Boulder, CO