Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 24 Aug 2000 21:49:08 -0600
From:         James Sperl <JiMelody@worldnet.att.net>
Subject:      Premature Clutch Failure?

Vanagon Friends, Looks like my clutch went out again tonight, 91 Syncro. That is only 25,000 miles and less than 2 years since the last one, doesn't that seem too soon. I can shift into gears with engine off, no master/slave cylinder leaks. Absolutely no warning, started when heading home from work when it seemed a little harder to get into second. The first stop sign, it was obviously a problem when I couldn't get back into first and clutch barely slowed me down. Ended up driving home in first for fear I would get stuck without a gear. Almost identical symptoms from two years ago. So...

1. Thoughts on why the early failure (I have not abused it in any way.) Have any of you had similar problems (misery loves company). 2. Confirmation of a clutch failure given symptoms? 3. Comments/suggestions on work to be done while tranny is out? Tempted to do tranny because it does have 155,500 miles on it but it has been running so perfectly for so long, hate to bother it (and oh so expensive). 4. Anyone interested in installing a new Tii engine (engine runs perfectly but... 65000 on new heads) and rebuilt tranny for me? 5. Moved here to Dayton OH area two weeks ago, suggestions for now required work which I don't have time/capability for. Thanks Frank M. for suggestions in Columbus, if I can't find anyone closer, I'll try them. 6. Confirmation that it still makes sense to invest 10000 in a 91 Syncro Adventurewagon in great condition with no rust?

Thanks for your advice.

Jim Fairborn OH 91 Syncro (broke) 99 TDI NB (still in body shop) 99 Diamond Back MBike (current transportation)