Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 25 Aug 2000 06:36:22 -0700
From:         Mark Mages <wasserbox@yahoo.com>
Subject:      Re: How I Closed Down A Gas Station Today
Comments: To: PSavage <psavage@saber.net>

Possible scenario 1st off - do you have a manual or auto tranny?

If you have an auto tranny, this becomes more possible, cuz you wouldn't notice the problem when shifting.

That plastic piece with the T's goes OVER the shift linkage and coolant hoses that run underneath the van. They go through the valley in the tank, between the tank and the plastic tube. It doesnt say anything in the Bentley about this, you can't tell from the pictures, and the only reason I noticed is that with a manual tranny it suddenly becomes very hard to shift. It is a real pain to install this way, but necessary.

If your mech didn't know this, it is possible he ran that line under the hoses, and the pressure and vibration of driving and bouncing caused it to pop out of its holes.

If installed properly, this plastic line is VERY secure.

But gas shouldn't really GUSH out... it should be more of about a pint pouring onto the ground when the pump shuts off.... that wouldn't close down a station unless you live in California..

Mark

--- PSavage <psavage@saber.net> wrote: > Evening Listees, > All four CV joints & boots replaced today & the fuel > lines to the gas tank, > including the crossover pipe, etc. > So far so good. > Mechanic says he'll do the rest of the lines when I > get back from Nevada. > He was overbooked, I guess. > From the repair shop I went straight to gas station > to fill up. Suddenly: > loud whooshing sound & a sheet of gasoline poured > down, flooding two bays of > the service station. The attendants closed the > station off with orange > cones while I called the mechanic. > Back at the shop, they dropped the tank again & > discovered that the plastic > pipe with double T's at each end had popped lose. > They were repositioned & > the mechanic took the car for a test drive. The > damned thing popped out > again. Again, the gas was drained out of the tank & > the tank was lowered. > One more time the pipe was pushed into it's spot & > the mechanic took it for > a test drive. This time it seemed to stay where it > belonged. > Question: Why did this happen? (Two times) > After the second time, just in case, the > mechanic replaced my shiny new > plastic pipe with an identical new one from his > parts stock. > Question: Anybody had this happen? I feel pretty > nervous about having this > pipe under the tank that apparantly requires no > clamps on it. > Anything wrong with this picture? > Phaedra

===== Mark Just because you have an opinion, doesn't mean that anyone wants to hear it

87 Westfalia Gl 84 Scirocco 8v http://student.fortlewis.edu/~mwmages/